3 Steps to Studying for Exams
When most people think of college, they usually think of parties, course schedules, the freshmen 15 and over studying in a dark back corner of a deserted library at two in the morning. In fact, if you are in college then you probably know someone who spends the day or two before a big exam locked in their dorm room studying with a bunch of cans of Red Bull and coffee. Or maybe you are that person. Do you know what I mean? Staying awake for thirty hours straight, skipping meals, falling asleep at the library and stressing over that big test with that overwhelming feeling of being unprepared. Fortunately, it doesn’t have to be that way at all. Here are three easy steps to successfully study without ending up sleep deprived and cranky.
1. Stop studying!: Not all together, but do not study for that big exam the day or two before. Studies have shown that over studying or cramming for that big exam does not help at all. In fact, it does the opposite. It stresses you out so much that you will most likely blank than get an A. Your brain also retains more information if you study in a calm and relaxed manner. Try spreading out your study time. You have a syllabus for a reason. Study new material at the end of each week and the week before an exam just review the material: do not cram. If you need to, create a weekly schedule to keep you on task or keep a planner.
2. Sleep: This one is important. You have to make time to sleep, and if you think you can’t then cut out a few hours of mindless internet surfing and turn off your phone. Before you know it you will have eight free hours to sleep. You will stay more focused and retain information quicker if you are well rested. Sleep is not just to recharge your body but your brain as well. Sleeping also helps you retain all of the information you learned the day before.
3. Ditch the caffeine: Are you used to drinking a Five Hour Energy or three Red Bulls to stay awake during study sessions? How about those three cups of “much needed” coffee before it even hits midday? If you feel like you need caffeine and sugar to stay awake, study, or go on with your day then you probably are just tired and in need of sleep. Not only are energy drinks harmful for you but they will make you crash before the day ends and you will end up feeling worse than before.
Instead, try eating a well balanced breakfast in the morning loaded with calcium, protein and fruit to keep you going all day long. Also, eat healthy snacks in between each meal or throughout hectic days. Still need to cram past midnight? Drink an all natural fruit smoothie to wake you up and get you energized. If it’s still not doing the trick and you feel like you need caffeine, then splurge on one small cup of decaf coffee.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Health Articles
Recent University of Illinois News Articles
RECENT UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS CLASSIFIEDS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS NEWS
- Shooting at University of Illinois
- 5 Palatable Options In and Around USC
- How to Land an Internship: A Few Tips and Tricks
- Exclusive Interview with Ghostlight Director Thomas Gallogly!
- How to Make Online Jobs Appealing to College Students
- Keep Your Residents Safe During Halloween: 5 Suggestions
- Drake's "Fake Love" Looks Poised to be a Hit and I'm Not Thinking...
MOST POPULAR UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeAdler UniversityAlvareitas College of Cosmetology-BellevilleAlvareitas College of Cosmetology-EdwardsvilleAlvareitas College of Cosmetology-GodfreyAmerican Academy of ArtAmerican Intercontinental University OnlineAmerican InterContinental University-OnlineArgosy University-ChicagoArgosy University-SchaumburgAugustana CollegeAurora UniversityAveda Institute-ChicagoBexley Hall Seabury Western Theological Seminary FederationBIR Training CenterBlack Hawk College Blackburn CollegeBlessing Hospital School of Medical Laboratory TechnologyBradley UniversityCALC Institute of TechnologyCameo Beauty AcademyCannella School of Hair Design-Blue IslandCannella School of Hair Design-ChicagoCannella School of Hair Design-ElginCannella School of Hair Design-Villa ParkCapital Area School of Practical NursingCapri Beauty CollegeCareer Center of Southern IllinoisCarl Sandburg College Catholic Theological Union at ChicagoChicago ORT Technical InstituteChicago School of Professional PsychologyChicago State UniversityChristian Life CollegeCity Colleges of ChicagoCity Colleges of Chicago-Harold Washington CollegeCity Colleges of Chicago-Kennedy-King CollegeCity Colleges of Chicago-Malcolm X CollegeCity Colleges of Chicago-Olive-Harvey CollegeCity Colleges of Chicago-Richard J Daley CollegeCity Colleges of Chicago-Wilbur Wright CollegeCollege of DuPageCollege of Lake County Columbia College ChicagoConcept College of CosmetologyConcordia UniversityCosmetology & Spa AcademyCoyne CollegeCreative Touch Cosmetology SchoolCurve Metric School of Hair DesignDanville Area Community CollegeDebutantes School of Cosmetology and Nail TechnologyDePaul UniversityDePaul University College of LawDeVry UniversityDeVry University-IllinoisDominican UniversityEast-West UniversityEastern Illinois UniversityEducators of Beauty College of Cosmetology-La SalleEducators of Beauty College of Cosmetology-SterlingElgin Community College Elmhurst CollegeEmpire Beauty School-Arlington HeightsEmpire Beauty School-Hanover ParkEmpire Beauty School-LisleEmpire Beauty School-Stone ParkEmpire Beauty School-Vernon HillsErikson InstituteEstelle Skin Care and Spa InstituteETI School of Skilled TradesEureka CollegeEverest College-Bedford ParkEverest College-Melrose ParkEverest College-North AuroraEverest College-SkokieFox CollegeFrontier Community College Garrett-Evangelical Theological SeminaryGem City CollegeGovernors State UniversityGraham Hospital School of NursingGreenville CollegeHair Professionals Career CollegeHair Professionals School of CosmetologyHarper CollegeHarrington College of DesignHighland Community College (IL)IllinoisIllinois Center for BroadcastingIllinois Central CollegeIllinois CollegeIllinois College of OptometryIllinois Institute of TechnologyIllinois State UniversityIllinois Valley Community CollegeIllinois Wesleyan UniversityInternational Academy of Design and TechnologyITT Technical Institute-Oak BrookITT Technical Institute-Orland ParkITT Technical Institute-SpringfieldJ Renee Career FacilitationJohn A. Logan CollegeJohn Amico School of Hair DesignJohn Wood Community College Joliet Junior CollegeJudson UniversityKankakee Community College Kaskaskia College Kendall CollegeKishwaukee College Knowledge Systems InstituteKnox CollegeLa James International College-East MolineLake Forest CollegeLake Forest Graduate School of ManagementLewis & Clark Community CollegeLewis UniversityLincoln Christian College and SeminaryLincoln CollegeLincoln College of Technology-Melrose ParkLincoln Land Community College Lincoln Trail College Lisle, IllinoisLoyola University ChicagoLutheran School of Theology at ChicagoMacCormac CollegeMacMurray CollegeMadison Media Institute-Rockford Career CollegeMcCormick Theological SeminaryMcHenry County College McKendree UniversityMethodist CollegeMidstate CollegeMidwest College of Oriental Medicine-ChicagoMidwest Technical Institute-East PeoriaMidwest Technical Institute-MolineMidwest Technical Institute-SpringfieldMidwestern UniversityMillikin UniversityMonmouth CollegeMoody Bible InstituteMoraine Valley Community CollegeMorrison Institute of TechnologyMorthland CollegeMorton CollegeNational Latino Education InstituteNational University of Health SciencesNational-Louis UniversityNetworks Barber CollegeNiles School of CosmetologyNorth Central CollegeNorth Park UniversityNortheastern Illinois UniversityNorthern Baptist Theological SeminaryNorthern Illinois UniversityNorthShore University HealthSystem School of Nurse AnesthesiaNorthwesternNorthwestern College-Chicago CampusNorthwestern College-Southwestern CampusOakton Community College Olivet Nazarene UniversityOlney Central College Parkland CollegePaul Mitchell the School-BradleyPaul Mitchell the School-NormalPCCTI IT and HealthcarePivot Point Academy-BloomingdalePivot Point Academy-EvanstonPrairie State College Prince Institute-Great LakesPrincipia CollegeQuincy UniversityRasmussen College-AuroraRasmussen College-IllinoisRasmussen College-Mokena/Tinley ParkRasmussen CollegeâRomeoville/JolietRegency Beauty Institute-AuroraRegency Beauty Institute-ChampaignRegency Beauty Institute-DarienRegency Beauty Institute-Fairview HeightsRegency Beauty Institute-PeoriaRegency Beauty Institute-Tinley ParkRend Lake College Richland Community College Robert Morris CollegeRock Valley College Rockford CollegeRoosevelt UniversityRosalind Franklin University of Medicine and ScienceRush UniversitySAE Institute of Technology-ChicagoSaint Anthony College of NursingSaint Augustine CollegeSaint Francis Medical Center College of NursingSaint Xavier UniversitySauk Valley Community College School of the Art Institute of ChicagoShawnee Community College Shear Learning Academy of CosmetologyShimer CollegeSOLEX CollegeSoma Institute-The National School of Clinical Massage TherapySouth Suburban College Southeastern Illinois College Southern Illinois University CarbondaleSouthern Illinois University EdwardsvilleSpoon River College Star Truck Driving School-BensenvilleStar Truck Driving School-Hickory HillsState Career CollegeTelshe Yeshiva-ChicagoThe Cooking and Hospitality Institute of ChicagoThe Illinois Institute of ArtThe Illinois Institute of Art-SchaumburgThe John Marshall Law SchoolThe Salon Professional Academy-ElginThe University of Aesthetics & CosmetologyTri-County Beauty AcademyTribeca Flashpoint Media Arts AcademyTricoci University of Beauty Culture-Chicago NETricoci University of Beauty Culture-Chicago NWTricoci University of Beauty Culture-Glendale HeightsTricoci University of Beauty Culture-LibertyvilleTricoci University of Beauty Culture-PeoriaTrinity Christian CollegeTrinity College of Nursing & Health SciencesTrinity International UniversityTriton College Truman CollegeUnity Cosmetology CollegeUniversal Technical Institute of Illinois IncUniversity of ChicagoUniversity of Chicago Graduate School of BusinessUniversity of IllinoisUniversity of Illinois at ChicagoUniversity of Illinois at SpringfieldUniversity of Phoenix-IllinoisUniversity of Saint Mary of the LakeUniversity of Spa & Cosmetology ArtsUniversity of St FrancisVanderCook College of MusicWabash Valley College Waubonsee Community College Western Illinois UniversityWestwood College-DupageWheaton CollegeWorsham College of Mortuary Science
- By State
- By City