3 Steps to Studying for Exams
When most people think of college, they usually think of parties, course schedules, the freshmen 15 and over studying in a dark back corner of a deserted library at two in the morning. In fact, if you are in college then you probably know someone who spends the day or two before a big exam locked in their dorm room studying with a bunch of cans of Red Bull and coffee. Or maybe you are that person. Do you know what I mean? Staying awake for thirty hours straight, skipping meals, falling asleep at the library and stressing over that big test with that overwhelming feeling of being unprepared. Fortunately, it doesn’t have to be that way at all. Here are three easy steps to successfully study without ending up sleep deprived and cranky.
1. Stop studying!: Not all together, but do not study for that big exam the day or two before. Studies have shown that over studying or cramming for that big exam does not help at all. In fact, it does the opposite. It stresses you out so much that you will most likely blank than get an A. Your brain also retains more information if you study in a calm and relaxed manner. Try spreading out your study time. You have a syllabus for a reason. Study new material at the end of each week and the week before an exam just review the material: do not cram. If you need to, create a weekly schedule to keep you on task or keep a planner.
2. Sleep: This one is important. You have to make time to sleep, and if you think you can’t then cut out a few hours of mindless internet surfing and turn off your phone. Before you know it you will have eight free hours to sleep. You will stay more focused and retain information quicker if you are well rested. Sleep is not just to recharge your body but your brain as well. Sleeping also helps you retain all of the information you learned the day before.
3. Ditch the caffeine: Are you used to drinking a Five Hour Energy or three Red Bulls to stay awake during study sessions? How about those three cups of “much needed” coffee before it even hits midday? If you feel like you need caffeine and sugar to stay awake, study, or go on with your day then you probably are just tired and in need of sleep. Not only are energy drinks harmful for you but they will make you crash before the day ends and you will end up feeling worse than before.
Instead, try eating a well balanced breakfast in the morning loaded with calcium, protein and fruit to keep you going all day long. Also, eat healthy snacks in between each meal or throughout hectic days. Still need to cram past midnight? Drink an all natural fruit smoothie to wake you up and get you energized. If it’s still not doing the trick and you feel like you need caffeine, then splurge on one small cup of decaf coffee.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Health Articles
Recent University of Illinois News Articles
RECENT UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS CLASSIFIEDS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS NEWS
- Game of Thrones: Bran, Hodor, and the Problem of Power
- Most Common Problems You'll Run Into With Your College Roommate(s)
- The Definition Of "Republican" Is Changing
- 6 Healthy Foods To Help Improve Your Scores On Finals
- Chance the Rapper's New "Independent" Hustle
- What Makes The Youth Vote So Important
- Immerse Yourself In California's Best Hiking/Camping
MOST POPULAR UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeNorthwesternDePaul UniversityUniversity of Illinois at ChicagoUniversity of IllinoisIllinois State UniversityLoyola University ChicagoNorthern Illinois UniversitySouthern Illinois University CarbondaleUniversity of ChicagoColumbia College ChicagoEastern Illinois UniversityNortheastern Illinois UniversitySouthern Illinois University EdwardsvilleWestern Illinois UniversityUniversity of Chicago Graduate School of BusinessMorton CollegeRoosevelt UniversityRobert Morris CollegeParkland CollegeMoraine Valley Community CollegeIllinois Wesleyan UniversityIllinois Institute of TechnologyChicago State UniversityKendall CollegeAugustana CollegeAmerican Intercontinental University OnlineAurora UniversityLisle, IllinoisBradley UniversityChicago School of Professional PsychologyConcordia UniversityDeVry UniversityDominican UniversityEast-West UniversityElmhurst CollegeGovernors State UniversityGreenville CollegeHarrington College of DesignIllinois CollegeInternational Academy of Design and TechnologyKnox CollegeLake Forest CollegeLewis UniversityLincoln Christian College and SeminaryLincoln CollegeMcKendree UniversityMidwestern UniversityMillikin UniversityMonmouth CollegeNational-Louis UniversityNorth Central CollegeNorth Park UniversityOlivet Nazarene UniversityQuincy UniversityRockford CollegeRosalind Franklin University of Medicine and ScienceRush UniversitySaint Augustine CollegeSaint Xavier UniversitySchool of the Art Institute of ChicagoThe Illinois Institute of ArtThe Illinois Institute of Art-SchaumburgThe John Marshall Law SchoolTrinity Christian CollegeTrinity International UniversityUniversity of Illinois at SpringfieldUniversity of St FrancisWheaton CollegeIllinois Central CollegeJoliet Junior CollegeShimer CollegeTruman CollegeThe Cooking and Hospitality Institute of ChicagoMacMurray CollegeCollege of DuPageIllinois Valley Community CollegeHarper CollegeIllinoisCity Colleges of ChicagoDePaul University College of LawBlack Hawk College Carl Sandburg College College of Lake County Danville Area Community CollegeElgin Community College Frontier Community College Highland Community College (IL)John A. Logan CollegeJohn Wood Community College Kankakee Community College Kaskaskia College Kishwaukee College Lewis & Clark Community CollegeLincoln Land Community College Lincoln Trail College McHenry County College Oakton Community College Olney Central College Prairie State College Rend Lake College Richland Community College Rock Valley College Sauk Valley Community College Shawnee Community College South Suburban College Southeastern Illinois College Spoon River College Triton College Wabash Valley College Waubonsee Community College Adler UniversityAlvareitas College of Cosmetology-BellevilleAlvareitas College of Cosmetology-EdwardsvilleAlvareitas College of Cosmetology-GodfreyAmerican Academy of ArtAmerican InterContinental University-OnlineArgosy University-ChicagoArgosy University-SchaumburgAveda Institute-ChicagoBexley Hall Seabury Western Theological Seminary FederationBIR Training CenterBlackburn CollegeBlessing Hospital School of Medical Laboratory TechnologyCALC Institute of TechnologyCameo Beauty AcademyCannella School of Hair Design-Blue IslandCannella School of Hair Design-ChicagoCannella School of Hair Design-ElginCannella School of Hair Design-Villa ParkCapital Area School of Practical NursingCapri Beauty CollegeCareer Center of Southern IllinoisCatholic Theological Union at ChicagoChicago ORT Technical InstituteChristian Life CollegeCity Colleges of Chicago-Harold Washington CollegeCity Colleges of Chicago-Kennedy-King CollegeCity Colleges of Chicago-Malcolm X CollegeCity Colleges of Chicago-Olive-Harvey CollegeCity Colleges of Chicago-Richard J Daley CollegeCity Colleges of Chicago-Wilbur Wright CollegeConcept College of CosmetologyCosmetology & Spa AcademyCoyne CollegeCreative Touch Cosmetology SchoolCurve Metric School of Hair DesignDebutantes School of Cosmetology and Nail TechnologyDeVry University-IllinoisEducators of Beauty College of Cosmetology-La SalleEducators of Beauty College of Cosmetology-SterlingEmpire Beauty School-Arlington HeightsEmpire Beauty School-Hanover ParkEmpire Beauty School-LisleEmpire Beauty School-Stone ParkEmpire Beauty School-Vernon HillsErikson InstituteEstelle Skin Care and Spa InstituteETI School of Skilled TradesEureka CollegeEverest College-Bedford ParkEverest College-Melrose ParkEverest College-North AuroraEverest College-SkokieFox CollegeGarrett-Evangelical Theological SeminaryGem City CollegeGraham Hospital School of NursingHair Professionals Career CollegeHair Professionals School of CosmetologyIllinois Center for BroadcastingIllinois College of OptometryITT Technical Institute-Oak BrookITT Technical Institute-Orland ParkITT Technical Institute-SpringfieldJ Renee Career FacilitationJohn Amico School of Hair DesignJudson UniversityKnowledge Systems InstituteLa James International College-East MolineLake Forest Graduate School of ManagementLincoln College of Technology-Melrose ParkLutheran School of Theology at ChicagoMacCormac CollegeMadison Media Institute-Rockford Career CollegeMcCormick Theological SeminaryMethodist CollegeMidstate CollegeMidwest College of Oriental Medicine-ChicagoMidwest Technical Institute-East PeoriaMidwest Technical Institute-MolineMidwest Technical Institute-SpringfieldMoody Bible InstituteMorrison Institute of TechnologyMorthland CollegeNational Latino Education InstituteNational University of Health SciencesNetworks Barber CollegeNiles School of CosmetologyNorthern Baptist Theological SeminaryNorthShore University HealthSystem School of Nurse AnesthesiaNorthwestern College-Chicago CampusNorthwestern College-Southwestern CampusPaul Mitchell the School-BradleyPaul Mitchell the School-NormalPCCTI IT and HealthcarePivot Point Academy-BloomingdalePivot Point Academy-EvanstonPrince Institute-Great LakesPrincipia CollegeRasmussen College-AuroraRasmussen College-IllinoisRasmussen College-Mokena/Tinley ParkRasmussen CollegeâRomeoville/JolietRegency Beauty Institute-AuroraRegency Beauty Institute-ChampaignRegency Beauty Institute-DarienRegency Beauty Institute-Fairview HeightsRegency Beauty Institute-PeoriaRegency Beauty Institute-Tinley ParkSAE Institute of Technology-ChicagoSaint Anthony College of NursingSaint Francis Medical Center College of NursingShear Learning Academy of CosmetologySOLEX CollegeSoma Institute-The National School of Clinical Massage TherapyStar Truck Driving School-BensenvilleStar Truck Driving School-Hickory HillsState Career CollegeTelshe Yeshiva-ChicagoThe Salon Professional Academy-ElginThe University of Aesthetics & CosmetologyTribeca Flashpoint Media Arts AcademyTricoci University of Beauty Culture-Chicago NETricoci University of Beauty Culture-Chicago NWTricoci University of Beauty Culture-Glendale HeightsTricoci University of Beauty Culture-LibertyvilleTricoci University of Beauty Culture-PeoriaTri-County Beauty AcademyTrinity College of Nursing & Health SciencesUnity Cosmetology CollegeUniversal Technical Institute of Illinois IncUniversity of Phoenix-IllinoisUniversity of Saint Mary of the LakeUniversity of Spa & Cosmetology ArtsVanderCook College of MusicWestwood College-DupageWorsham College of Mortuary Science
- By State
- By City